In recent weeks the Cedar community has been moved to express support for the people of Ukraine as they continue to endure the horrors of invasion and war. As an IB World School, Cedar aims to prepare global citizens who will contribute to a more peaceful world – valuing life and our common humanity. The events currently unfolding in Ukraine remind us how important that mission continues to be.
We would like to share with you some links below that highlight the response not only from our students and staff, but the wider BVI community, and the International Baccalaureate Organisation. We will continue to update this page to reflect the wide ranging related activities our students will no doubt engage in as time goes on.
We are fortunate to have an experienced team of globally minded teachers who are helping students to process these events in age appropriate ways on campus. As war can be a difficult topic to discuss, we are including links to two articles here and here that offer guidance on discussing the war in Ukraine with children to help them understand, feel safe, and perhaps even feel empowered to help.
- Click here for an Open Letter from the Director General of the International Baccalaureate Organisation on the crisis in Ukraine.
- Cedar students participated in a global initiative called Art for Peace in Ukraine, a collaborative, student-driven art project launched by Pechersk School International, an IB World School in Kyiv, Ukraine. A selection of the entries are displayed in the gallery below.
- Grade 10 design class conceived, designed and executed a thought provoking interactive installation in the atrium. The resulting time-lapse video can be viewed here.
- Cedar students and staff dressed in blue and yellow, the colors of the Ukrainian flag (Image below).
- We are pleased to confirm that the Ukrainian flag has now joined the collection of flags in the atrium, reflecting the incredible diversity of our school community.
Pechersk School International has set up a website, Stand with Ukraine, which provides links to various organizations that are providing aid to the people of Ukraine. This is an excellent starting point for families in the BVI community looking to help, as the best guidance often comes from those being directly impacted by the events.